by - 12:05 PM

Best friends for life, that's what we were - Hunter and I. Ever since we met in the sandbox at age two, we've been stuck at the hip. We would have sleepovers, plot out our lives, plan our future together. Neither one of us ever said if we would spend our life with each other, maybe because we both know.


It was my twentieth birthday when Hunter brought me to the park where we first met. The park had been abandoned over the years, empty at most times. The paint of the slides and see-saws were peeling off, leaving the yellow and red paint spotted with the rough maroon color of rust. There was, however an old lady who planted flowers all around and despite the neglect of repainting, the flowers bloomed in the spring making the park look more lively.

'Hey,' he said, beckoning me to join him at the swings. I plopped my butt on the rubber seat and looked at the neglected sandbox. 'I have something to tell you.'

He was smiling when he said that, I didn't suspect a thing. I thought he was going to tell me about one of his "adventures" in the cafe he worked at. 'Shoot,'

He took my hands and put them in mine. He was smiling, but his eyes said otherwise. 'I've been having some serious migraines for a few weeks,'

'So?' I failed to see the point. 'Go see a doctor then.' I said nonchalantly. What's the worst that could have happened? It was just a headache right? Worst comes to worst he gets spectacles.

'I did,' he said, his grey eyes looking at mine. I always felt uncomfortable under his gaze, they seemed to look into your soul and say "I know what you're thinking". 'The doctor told me something that could change my life forever, and probably yours too.'

'You're going to need glasses now?' I joked, chuckling.

'No,' he said, shaking his head vigorously, his gaze never left mine. 'Dana, I have a tumor growing in my brain.'

***

For the next few months we spent together. Hunter didn't want to go for chemotherapy, he wanted to let nature take its course.

I was reluctant at first. It really hurt, having to have your best friend slip from your fingertips. But Hunter was really persistent with it, and I gave in.

Hunter made a bucket list and we did every single one. He became weaker and weaker, and soon he had to be confined to the stale smell of the hospital bed. I visited him everyday, and went home every night soaking my pillow with tears.

I brought him DVDs of the movies he had missed, we played board games on his bed, we made friends with the nurses and other patients.

'You two make a cute couple,' a busty nurse once commented.
'Oh, we're not together,' I smiled. She didn't look convinced, but went on her way to treat other patients.
Hunter looked at me weird after that, which made me a bit scared.

Were we in love? Do best friends fall for each other? Will it work out?

***

When Hunter was evicted from the hospital, I spent every night at his house, afraid that I wouldn't be there when he decides to leave.

We were lying next to each other, face to face on his bed. The clock on his bedside table said four am.

I couldn't sleep. I had hardly any sleep most of the time, I was too busy being scared. Being scared for Hunter. Being scared for me.

His hands crawled to my face, pulling his face to my forehead, landing a kiss there. He was sweating, and tears were creeping down his cheeks. I could feel my eyes burning, and I knew they were red. But I refused to let the tears fall. Hunter needed me to be strong right now.

'I love you, Dana.'

And he left. Just like that. His eyes fluttered close as his hands went limp. I could literally feel the life leaving his body.

'I love you too,' I choked out, wrapping my arms tight around his body, burying my face into his chest. It was then when I let my tears come. And it didn't stop. It just kept flowing from me, and it became more and more comforting. It made me feel better.

Until the reality starts coming right at you and slaps you across the face.

Ever lost a best friend?

It sucks.

You May Also Like

0 comments