Wattpad Rant

by - 12:35 PM

I've just downloaded the pdf for The Sea of Tranquillity yesterday and the starting is so horrible, I stopped reading it - which made me a little annoyed cos it was so hard to find the stupid file -.- It reminded me of those horrible Wattpad stories I've had the un-fortune to read.

Thus, sparked this blog post. The following is the list of what I particularly do not like about Wattpad writers. Before you go all defensive about it, I understand that majority of these writers are teens. Thus, having little experience to speak of....

1. One of my biggest pet peeve is when they spell things wrongly. Too much of these spelling errors make me remove this form of treachery from my library in disgust. A lot of these teens seem to fail their English class (even if most of them are from America-where their mother language is English which baffles me.) and rely heavily on spell-check on Word.

Because most of them mean definitely but they spell it as defiantly. And I'm lying down on my bed like NO. NO. NOOOOO. 
Just to get this straight, definitely and defiantly are completely two different words with different meanings. In case you don't believe me, I took the liberty to Google it.
Definitely :Without doubt (used for emphasis) 
Defiantly: rebelliously: in a rebellious manner

So hopefully these people stop relying on spellcheck and proofread it word to word themselves -.- 

2. Incredibly boring, and clichéd starting chapters. One thing that makes me put down a book is if the starting of the book is incredibly boring. I particularly HATE it when they start with a girl waking up in a morning going to a new school. What makes it totally unrealistic is how they describe themselves. "I brushed my glorious blonde locks that fall into waves around my waist as I looked at my reflection. God I look horrible." 
Like, first of all - if you think you look oh so horrible you wouldn't exactly have a monologue in your mind describing how glorious your hair looks. Besides, when I brush my hair, what goes on in my mind? How many more minutes I have, not the colour of my hair and how and where it falls. If you wanna be descriptive and sound like you have a low self-esteem, write it in third person not first. 

3. When the story itself is incredibly cliched. I get that almost every girl on this planet dreams of meeting a bad boy, change the bad boy to a normal boy and live happily ever after. I get that they put their dreams in words but really? Make it interesting please, because almost every book I read with a bad boy has two ways: 
it's either the whole girl meets boy, boy has British accent, a mysterious scar on his face, blue eyes, shaggy hair and they instantly fall in love. OR
boy somehow ends up in girl's life and they hate each other which sparks an unending passion between them. Hence, booze, sex and a lot of making out.
There's no other way of describing bad boys maybe. OH and the bad boy will ALWAYS have family problems and the girl will forever have parents who push her into cheer-leading. 

4. The sex scenes. Oh dear Lord the sex scenes. The horribly written sex scenes. I feel nothing, I just know that they're touching each other. Let's just say I've read better. Orgasm inducing, panty dropping ones.

5. Stupid wolf stories. IS THERE NO GIRL ON WATTPAD WHO FALLS IN LOVE WITH A WEREWOLF WHO IS NOT THE ALPHA!?!? 

Of course, there are several stories of which I absolutely love

1. I sold myself to the devil for vinyls, pitiful I know. 
Yes the title is a mouthful, but trust me after reading it you will fall.in.love. with Blake. Read my lips, and never forget them. This book is amazing.

2. The Bad Boy's Girl.
Yes I hear you say but you just dissed bad boy books! Yes, I am aware of that. This book is an exception. This book is so ohmygod heart clenchingly good. Let's just say Cole? He's my dreamboat fictional boyfriend.

3. Float
It's mostly set in a beach but I like how the story flows with minimal to no typing errors! This story has really good flow, you can notice that the person who wrote this put in some effort.

4. Lessons On Love
This book has such good plot! And the writing is so good, and there are no typing errors and every time the girl meets the boy it makes me feel like going into the book and smash them together. But Lord knows what happened to the author lol it hasn't been updated in an entire year :(

Just downloaded Easy by Tammara Webber - heard some good things on Goodreads - a place I find most of the books I read on pdf version. Fingers crossed that it's good.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. I've noticed how a lot of the stories on Wattpad have similar basics and plots. I think it's because many of the writers are younger teens and of course it's sort of the popular thing to start out with a girl going to school, seeing her crush and endless pages of how hesitant she is to approach to him and then finally does and there's only one paragraph of that outcome. Give me a break, we've all been there but it gets overdone and it's so bland. One I saw earlier was based off of some thug life and two gang leaders are enemies and one has a girlfriend he beats while the other gang leader has his eyes on her and wants to get with her...

    As rude as it truly is, but I think Wattpad just has a mixture of young mainstream-based type of teens, outcasts that try to find some place to give some sort of talent or expression and gain attention out of it and people who are a bit slow...

    Anyway, I only use Wattpad to express certain stuff and even then I can't say I'm even that good. If by chance I ever start a story and it seems legit with good structure, it's probably a good idea to not share it on something like Wattpad even for the heck of lots of votes since anyone could even take it and switch words around and claim it as their own. :/

    ReplyDelete