Indulgences

by - 12:42 PM

There's a few things that I agree with my brother (quite rare, mind you) and one of them is the ridiculous Chinese monks.

My grandfather passed away a few years ago, when I was 11 I think. Because he's some hot-shot lumber company founder (he's a Datuk!) his funeral was quite grand. My uncle's rich so...yeah lol.
That's besides the point. For his funeral, these monks came to um..send his soul off? I don't really understand why they came lol all I knew at that time is my grandfather passed away, we had to go back to Pahang. We had to wear the same clothes - white shirt and cobalt blue track bottoms and canvas shoes - and we had to recite this monk-funeral-book thing that has these recitals in a weird language. We had to recite that three times a day I think.

My brother said that he was in their study room where my aunt gave the monks money. He was shocked, cos aren't monks supposed to be all holy and un-indulgent? So he asked why they're paying them, cos -and I quote- aren't food and drink enough payment for monks? Why do we need to pay them?

Seriously, the world is going crazy.
I hardly think monks should charge to go somewhere. Considering the fact that they all came in a Mercedes.
A Mercedes.
They're monks. And their transport is fancier than mine. It's kinda sad isn't it?
Of course, I don't expect them to walk by foot EVERYWHERE. It's not that practical but seriously. A MERCEDES. Aren't they supposed to use the money for more charitable uses?
There are homeless people and kids. We don't see homeless people seeking sanctuary at temples, do we? Cos I don't think temples welcome the homeless. I don't think they feed them either.

Every year, I go back to Terengganu for prayers. After the grave cleaning ceremony thing, we go to this temple to pray for my dead grandfather. I don't know why there's this thing there. I can't ask either or everyone will just shush me -.-
ANYWAY, that place is more posh than my own house. There are TILES. CLEAN tiles. Not those dusty red tiles you see at traditional temples, NO. This doesn't even really qualify as a temple. It's more like a Buddhist centre for prayers. I don't know. There's even a counter for DONATIONS. They ask for donations.

It's kind of silly, isn't it? I thought that people signed up to become monks cos they want to enlighten us corrupt beings.
Turns out most of them became monks cos they don't want a job. Or they don't qualify for one.
I think the worst hardship about being a monk is losing your hair and wearing those robes. Those are the only indulgences I see that they sacrifice. They can't marry and they live at...somewhere I think. I dunno.
I think the whole world of Buddhists should only donate food.


I bet that the monks will shoot you dirty looks if you only donate them with food. I bet they will.

You May Also Like

0 comments