by - 4:32 PM

Now that I got that out of my chest, I can now rant about the educational system.

What Malaysia really needs are actual teachers, interested in teaching. Not teachers that are just there for money. Not teachers who are just there cos they got rejected from University.

My brother told me that the truth is, all our teachers are University rejects. Our teachers are underpaid rejects who have nowhere to go so they settle with teaching. And I can't say he's exactly wrong. If our teachers were so fantastic and awesome and all that, majority of parents will not send their children to tuition classes.

Yeah, you can argue that kids who go to tuition are the lazy ones who don't want to study alone.
Excuse me, but have you seen the text books? They're unsubstantial, they have NOTHING in them and when there is anything worth reading, it's all cryptic. I want you to go to the bookshop and see if anyone in their right mind will pay so much for reference books that are thick as hell, the print is so small I get cross eyed when I read and NO GUARANTEE THAT YOUR CHILD WILL GET SATISFACTORY RESULTS.

Besides, bloody exams do not ask questions from the text book. Exams ask questions from everywhere. Exams ask questions that no one sees in reference books.

So where do people turn to? Tuition centres! The teachers there are suitably experienced, they're paid a suitable amount that allows them to be committed. Tuition centres also have no disciplinarians that breathe under your neck. You can wear whatever shit you want to wear, you can bring whatever you want. But the syarat is that you don't use your phone in the class. That's okay, because the teachers are interesting.


This is what majority of teachers lack - charisma. If you ask me, charisma matters a lot in attracting a student's attention. Your style of talking contributes greatly to a student's attention. Everyone has a short attention span, and if you're the kind that already have boring looking face with basically no emotion in your eyes, and your voice is equally as dull, WHO WILL YOU ATTRACT? Who will want to listen to you talk?? Imagine if all politicians talked like that, newspaper reporters will be paid so much more higher for the effort they put in to stay awake.

It also doesn't help that teachers in Malaysia are horrible underpaid. No wonder they have no motivation. No money no talk, right?

***

I'm just going to use MN as an example of a teacher I actually like. MN was my temporary teacher on practical back in my Form 2 days. 

At first, I didn't really like her cos she was so scary on the first day. Sooner or later, I actually started to look forward to my English lessons. You can tell she works really hard in trying to teach. So many newspaper cut-outs to attract our interest and help us make connections with urban culture and literature. She also invested quite an amount of cash into teaching us. I remember once, after class she gave us paper circles and taught us how to make paper fortune cookies lol. That was fun.

FUN.

And not just because of that, we barely used our exercise books. We did mostly worksheets and we wrote on colour paper. We all know that exercise books are the boringest things to express yourself in, but she gave us all an exercise book to write a journal in. Uh, excuse me but how many teachers do that? They can barely spare us 50 cents off their phone, apa lagi exercise books la. 

I really like MN hahaha.

***

And don't you say that tuition teachers have it easy. I will know. My tuition teachers have to travel from tuiton centre to tuition centre everyday. They also have to teach a whole lot of one-hour-lessons everyday. 

My Sejarah teacher - Mr Ahmad has over 1000 students in total to teach. I can justify that. One form alone has over 200 students, and that's only because he stopped accepting students so he won't go insane. Each form has 2 classes. And he teaches in 3 brances of the tuition centre. That sounds like a lot right? He has 9 hours on Saturdays, you know. And he still manages to catch our attention.

You must be thinking what hell it must be in the class right? Wrong. Except for form 1 classes, the rest are all pretty mature and obedient. The class is usually so quiet, every move you make can be heard by everyone, literally. Every squeak, every sniff, everything. The embarrassment of so many people hearing you sneeze is so mortifying, that no one dares make too much sound. 

His notes are good, his teaching is good and he understands that we need a break from learning after 30 minutes. And he thinks we don't notice this, but he usually starts talking about other stuff by the 30th minute. And he also tries to make really funny examples and all that. He's really committed into what he's doing, really. He doesn't give up on us. He makes lots of extra classes for the weak, and he is currently doing extra classes for Form 4 topics. 

So admirable.

I also hope that the Minister of Education makes all Science subject teachers to take English lessons. That's what my primary school did with the Maths and Science teachers. Every Thursday, they'll learn English and pronounciation while we students go for our "extra-extra-curricular activites" lol. It's basically this new bunch of clubs out of koko clubs. I obviously went for Art class, and I can safely say he loves me hehehehe as a student la pundek, he's flipping old. That would've been paedophilia. 

BUT BACK TO THE TOPIC, teachers should seriously learn their freaking English so they can make sense in class. So that the ENGLISH EDUCATED can actually understand what they're trying to tell us.

PLEASE LA. I DON'T WANT TO BE SO BLUR IN CLASS ANYMORE BECAUSE MY TEACHERS MUMBLE IN BM TO THEMSELVES AND ONLY THE PEOPLE IN THE FRONT CAN UNDERSTAND. PLEASE CONSIDER US STUDENTS SITTING AT THE BACK.

If the students sitting in the back aren't considered in your teaching radar, please give yourself a tight slap. We're still students, we just look smaller from the front. Come to the back sometimes la, please. Everyone knows students thrive in attention.

You May Also Like

0 comments