Chapter Four

by - 10:35 PM

CHAPTER FOUR

I can’t help feeling like this is a big joke, like we’re being taped for some show on TV. But we’re not. This is reality; Mom really is going to China, I really am moving in with Dad in New York, I really am going to transfer school, I really have to say goodbye to everyone.

But they give me only two days to say good-bye to everyone? I’ve been living here for sixteen years of my life; this place is part of me.

I have to say good-bye to Annie, my class mates, the school, Mrs. Johnsons’ dog that always poops at our front porch, Old Man Joe that bakes the best cookies, the house...

Speaking of which, what’s going to happen to the house? Do we sell it or do we just leave it vacant? Or did Mom found a renter and we have to move all our stuff away?

I buried my face in my pillows, inhaling the scent. Part of me feels pissed off because she told me in such short notice. But the other, more rational part feels okay with it.

How bad could living with Dad be right? Even if he left us for years...a father’s love never changes, right? And the job at China could do wonders with her career; I wouldn’t want to rip that way from her just for my selfish, teenager needs.

I felt a bit guilty now. Mom’s probably blaming herself right now. She’s been wallowing in grief for so long; did I really want that to happen again?

I crept down from my bed and opened the door. I tried to tip toe as soundless as humanly possible as I went downstairs. She was probably sitting there on the table, Dad sitting awkwardly across her.

I poked my head into the kitchen to see her looking down at her untouched dinner and guilt panged in my chest. Creeping up behind her, I wrapped my arms around her, inhaling her mom-ish scent of her hair. Like her lemon shampoo and another unique Mom scent.

‘I’m sorry Mom,’ I mumbled into her hair. I felt arms envelope me into a hug from behind, I assumed it was Dad.

I felt her hand touch my forearm. ‘It’s going to be all right, Case.’

I let go of her as she turned around. Dad from behind added his two cents to this whole family moment. ‘Yeah, you’re going to love New York,’ he said cheerfully. ‘The apartment is amazing, you’re gonna love it.’

I really hope so.

I pulled my suitcase with immense effort, trying to keep up with Dad’s long strides. I cursed under my breath for being born with short legs.

I’ve already said good-bye to everyone. Annie didn’t take it very well and cried the whole day. We had a farewell party at her backyard with all of our closes friends. We laughed, reminisced, ate, cried and basically had the time of our lives.

But in the end, they all gave me a huge surprise. It was a scrapbook full of memories I’ve had here with them. My crafty friend Kate made it last minute and everyone pitched in the photos they could find. It was beautiful, decorated with pretty stickers and handmade decorative flowers.

Every page was a new surprise, a new colour scheme. It had birthday parties, school photos, outing photos, and even embarrassing ones. Like the time I was at Lucy Grayson’s birthday party and my panty hose started dropping down to my knees. I was mortified when Bill told me he took a picture. I tried to bribe him to deleting that embarrassing photo but he stubbornly refused.

One day I’m going to get back at him for that one. My face in the photo was completely twisted and my hair was messed up. I looked like some retarded mad woman trying to pull her panties up.

‘May all passengers for flight NYC2401 please proceed to gate A, your plane has arrived. May all passengers for flight NYC2401 please proceed to gate A, your plane has arrived. Thank you.’ The voice boomed from the speakers.

‘Oh good, it arrived.’ I muttered under my breath. Dad helped me carry my bags as we go through all those customs crap we have to go for. Once they confirmed that we are not terrorists who plan to bomb the plane, we reached gate A to find a long queue ahead of us.

There had to be at least three hundred people in front of us, it was that long. After an agonizing amount of time, we boarded the plane and Dad let me sit on the aisle seat.

‘Hey Dad,’ I poked his arm.

‘Yeah?’

‘How long is the flight?’

‘About an hour and a half I suppose, why?’

‘Just wanted to know how long I have to endure sitting still.’

He chuckled as he pulled out the airplane magazine on the seat pocket in front of him. ‘You were never one to sit still.’

True that. School is agonizing enough for me, sitting down having to focus on some boring old teacher reciting something from the book. Like, hello? I can read too, I don’t need you to read it out loud.

I pulled out a book –Pride and Prejudice - from my shoulder bag along with a bag of chips I bought at the Duty Free shop here. Lays, my favourite.

I love Pride and Prejudice, my copy was old and tattered from all the leafing through I’ve done. I can really relate to Elizabeth, you know?

I have read almost half the book when the plane landed. Tucking it back into my bag, I waited until we were safe to go. I looked out from the window to only see a big space of...cement.

Sighing, I hitched my bag on my shoulder and stood up with the rest of the passengers. ‘New York, here I am.’





Kinda short, sorry :/ nothing much to say in this chappie lols basically she accepted the fact that there's nothing she can do and she kinda forgiven her Dad I guess.

Whatever. Thanks for reading :)

You May Also Like

0 comments